Family Facts #txdads2016
Community change takes a catalyst of attentive and teachable people. Are you ready?
As I participated at the Texas Fatherhood Summit, it impressed me, the willingness to learn and the appreciation for the toughness of the task was present. Leadership was poised and ready.
In another historic moment in world history, the Israeli people had lived under family dysfunction and oppression for decades.
Nehemiah attacked the community angst with many approaches. One of those was public meetings or town halls as we call them.
Ezra, the appointed teacher under Nehemiah, played a key role in a momentous turnaround for Israel after years of self inflicted slavery and occupation and family dysfunction. The leaders had ready been gathered. Now it’s time to move out another level.
He read sensible instruction and a call to a deep moral center from historical documents.
Then he read from it in the open .. from morning until midday, …..and the ears of all the people were attentive to the Book of the Law.
Nehemiah 8:3 NKJV
Are we ready to make this move in Texas? Maybe. The nation certainly is not ready. Maybe Texas can be the catalyst to sensible living, two parent involved families, and rational morality.
Matthew 18:2-4 Jesus called a little child to his side and set him on his feet in the middle of them all. “Believe me,” he said, “unless you change your whole outlook and become like little children you will never enter the kingdom of Heaven. It is the man who can be as humble as this little child who is greatest in the kingdom of Heaven.
Community Transformation Initiative
224 S. Chestnut, Moore, Ok 73160
Decisions take correct cultivation. Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. To improve my life, I need to find the right regimens to reinforce regardless of short term results. Over time, my decisions will conform.
My golf game is atrocious. My friend tells me, ‘Phil, you need to quit hitting the big ball (planet earth) before you hit the little ball.
But, my golf game is fine. You see, I don’t play golf to win the game. I play golf to spend time with a friend. That part of the game is good and it is what I want to practice.
What is important in your life? Friendships? Finances? Faith? Health? Study to develop right practices.
Most Sundays and Mondays are full of sickness and breakdown reports. As a businessman, pastor, and teacher, people report to me. As a friend, I watch their Facebook feeds and notice which are their worst days. People get sick on Sunday and Monday because they make bad decisons on handling stress every day. It catches up and takes us down with predictable regularity. We crash and burn and call it being sick. Really, we are reaping results of bad eating, working, resting, and stress management. We are sliding.
If I want to greet a great Monday, I start with a rested and worshipful Sunday. It is a decison. I close my Friday or Saturday depending on my work demands with planning for the next week. There is an intentional decision base to my life around which chaos can be controlled.
“A stitch in time saves nine.” We don’t darn socks anymore. Darn it! But we should darn other items. Rest, family and community worship, personal prayer and meditation, study of my career profession, communication with friends, planning, saving, relaxing, and family and friend time all feed my future health and happiness. And the press of life will rob me of them if I don’t decide and make them happen.
‘If your traditions have not changed, you have not changed. You are living an illusion.’
Seasonal traditions should be expressions of your inner man. If you are growing, so should they.
As a father, it is important to know that I am impacting my family. They need to be able to follow me as I follow stronger and stronger patterns of giving, productivity, service, and compassion. Talk is cheap. Action is expensive.
Your family needs to see your example through the filter of traditions. At Thanksgiving, Christmas and Super Bowl are you the same selfless person or do you change based on the wind of the moment and season?
Are you a thankful person or just one who gives thanks when the seasonal tradition demands it? Are you a gracious giver through all seasons or just ones that call on that aspect? Do you have a habit of thankfulness and giving and serving or just a traditional moment?
Contemplate. Your traditions should be expressions of who you are daily with special emphasis on a quality. If they are exhausting, it is probably because you are being untrue to your self and putting on a show for the season instead of expressing yourself with special strength and attention.
As you grow as a father, your daily, weekly, and seasonal traditional expressions should exemplify the character you want repeated in your inner man and your family.
Community Transformation Initiative has a great reputation. How do you improve what you are doing and how you present yourself? In marketing, we call that “rebranding”. Recast the image. As our success grows working with struggling families, it is time to put on a new suit of clothes.
1. SOLUM is Latin for soil or foundation. What we do is invest in the soil of hurting lives with fresh thought that can repair fractured foundations and launch a new future solid enough for generations.
2. The two leave image can be interpreted two ways. Some look and say, “It means someone comes alongside me and is helping me build a better life forward.” Others look and say, “It means when I change it affects those around me also.” Those are quotes from grads of our workshops, when I asked them to help with the new imagery.
3. Solid Life Foundations – Yes, we work at the foundational level of thought, social skills, and problem solving assisting those that come to us with cognitive self restructuring. That means they have to chose. They have to build themselves up from the inside out. We assist and expose and challenge.
4. Healthy and Safe Relationships – violence is too prevalent and lack of listening is too common. We teach how to listen, empathize, understand, and communicate. These are not common skills.
5. Generations of Greatness – When foundations are rebuilt with solid approach and communication is ongoing, more is caught than taught. Each workshop is three months, once a week, 20 hours, and includes weekly homework. These are designed to shift thinking. Life Skills, Family Builders, Anger Management, Couples Communication. They are all researched and evidence based. They will speak into the lives of the children of the children of those we connect.
Support Phil and SOLUM – Solid Life Foundations:
- Need a motivational speaker? Call me and connect. 405.388.8037
- Need a leadership retreat? Let’s get it done. email@example.com
- Feeling philanthropic? GIVE to support solid family life foundation building. solumcommunity.net/give
- Interested in starting a GrandParent Support group in your area? Get with me.